Collection and Use of Information
This statement discloses the privacy practices for Cineloka’s Content Services, including the instant licensing service and Clip&Copy.
Cineloka has a firm commitment to privacy. You should know that Cineloka gathers data only from registered customers; we do not gather and store information about visitors to the site. The following discloses the information gathering and dissemination practices for Cineloka. Cineloka does not engage in the practice of law and nothing on this web site constitutes legal advice. If you desire legal advice, you must consult with an attorney. The content available via this web site is for general information purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for the professional judgment and services of a licensed attorney. Reliance on the content is solely at your own risk.
IP Address/Log Files
Like most standard Web site servers we use log files. This includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, diagnose problems with our servers, track users’ movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use to improve the Web site’s navigation and features. IP addresses, etc. are not linked to personally identifiable information.
Personally Identifiable Information
Copyright law protects the content you are asking permission to use. In order to be granted instant permission to use this copyrighted material, you must submit accurate, current, and true information about yourself and your intended use of the material. At other times, when you request it, we collect personally identifiable information from you so we can pass it on to the service providers who can help fulfill your request. When you sign up with the service or place an order, we may ask you to give us the following Personally Identifiable Information:
- contact information (name and e-mail address)
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- to verify your identity in our record system
- to process your order and clear your request
- to bill you for reprints and clearance services
- to notify the publisher or content owner about who is licensing their content
- to get in touch with you when such contact is necessary and is related to the purposes of the service
- to monitor the use of our system and look for ways to improve our services
- to track and provide reporting to and for the Content owner and publisher of licensed material
See Keeping and Sharing of Information below for the reason we maintain these records.
Because copyright licensing (clearance) transactions involve a legal licensing agreement, Cineloka must collect accurate, current, and true information about each customer for each license transaction. Therefore, your name, e-mail address, business affiliation are all mandatory information when you purchase reprints and other types of content licenses.
Cineloka collects certain optional information from users to provide the Clip&Copy service. This information is used to find and deliver relevant articles to users that match their defined topics.
Keeping and Sharing of Information
Cineloka will aggregate transaction records and demographic information and make that information available to content owners and others to assist them in providing relevant content and services to Cineloka customers. Reports of aggregated information provided or sold to third parties will contain no Personally Identifiable Information.
We may disclose Personally Identifiable Information to others as follows:
- Each publisher or content owner may require that Cineloka disclose to it the names and other identifying information of the customers to whom the publisher’s rights or permissions have been granted as part of the legal licensing process. Cineloka does not control the use of such information by publishers/content owners.
- Each service provider may require your name or other identifying information to fulfill a request that you make. You will be asked for this information at the time of each request. Cineloka does not control the use of such information by service providers.
- Cineloka will disclose such information when required to do so by law or as requested by government or law enforcement authorities.
- Cineloka maintains records of all licensing transactions, even if You cancel your account, so long as our agreements with content owners require us to, which is usually three (3) years.
By registering with Cineloka to license content, receive Clip&Copy, or to submit an inquiry to Cineloka or an Cineloka-enabled publisher, You authorize Cineloka to send you the following types of information:
- Payments and licensing transactions receipts on licenses and permissions You obtain through the Cineloka system.
- Change of status regarding any license You obtained through Cineloka, such as license revocation or expiration.
- Clip&Copy advisories, if You opt-in to receive Clip&Copy.
- Cineloka service news and promotional news, such as information about new publishers, new content, new services, or changes which may affect your account.
Cineloka may offer you the option of allowing us to send you various kinds of information from publishers and partners. You may choose to subscribe to these communications, and you can choose to unsubscribe at any time.
Correct/Update Your Information or Cancel Your Account
Cineloka will NOT knowingly collect online contact information from anyone under the age of 13.
This site contains links to other sites. Please note that when you click one of these links, you will be entering another Web site. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of these linked sites, as their policies may differ from Cineloka’s policy.
We recognize that security has become a critical issue for Internet users. Cineloka takes precautions to protect the integrity of your information and to avoid loss, theft, misuse, or alteration. Cineloka uses industry-standard, commercially available technology such as firewalls and SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption to protect your registration and online transaction information. To check the security of your connection, look at the upper right-hand corner of your browser window after accessing the server. If you see a closed lock then your information will be encrypted as it is transmitted.
Notification of Changes
If, however, we are going to use users’ personally identifiable information in a manner different from that stated at the time of collection we will notify users via email. Users will have a choice as to whether or not we use their information in this different manner. However, if users have opted out of all communication with the site, or deleted/deactivated their account, then they will not be contacted, nor will their personal information be used in this new manner.